Category Archives: Cooking
- 1 large onion
- 3-4 medium potatoes. Waxy potatoes such as Maris Piper work best
- 5 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt
- Medium-large, non-stick frying pan with a lid (a plate will do)
- Medium-large mixing bowl
- Two warm plates
- Slice the onion and potatoes thinly.
- Fry the onions and potatoes for around 20 mins on a low heat in a covered frying pan in 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Stir occasionally.
- Season the potato and onion mixture well during cooking.
- Check the potatoes are soft – on the verge of breaking up.
- Break the eggs into a mixing bowl and gently beat. Season.
- Add the hot onion and potato mix to the eggs in the mixing bowl. Mix.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the empty frying pan. Turn up the heat to medium.
- Pour the egg, potato and onion mixture into the pan. Turn the heat down to very low.
- Cook the mixture for about 15 minutes, until it is no longer runny on the top.
- Covering the frying pan with the lid or a plate, carefully turn the pan over, so that the omelette rests on the lid or plate. (I do this over the sink in case of an accident.)
- Put the frying pan back on the heat, and carefully return the omelette to the pan, with the cooked side now facing up.
- Cook the omelette for a further 6 minutes on a low heat until the other side is done.
- Tip out or invert the cooked omelette onto a clean, warm plate.
- Cover with a second warm plate to keep the omelette warm until ready to serve.
Enjoy with crusty bread!